Welcome to this Introduction to Contemplative Prayer!
These days, mindfulness, yoga, meditation and other embodied practices are all-the-rage. Popular authors like Daniel Siegel, Jon Kabat-Zinn, Daniel Goleman and others are inviting ordinary women and men into life-transforming practices. Apps such as CALM, HEADSPACE and a host of yoga applications are keeping us accountable and giving us concrete practices for relief from anxiety, rest from our weariness, and rhythms for wholeness.
Yet, the ancient Christian tradition has offered practices of awareness, embodiment, breathing, centering, and intention for centuries. This course invites you into contemplative spirituality and practice in the Christian tradition. In the five videos, we explore the basics of contemplative prayer, the core theological value of “letting go,” the neuroscientific basis for it, the invitation to wholeheartedness, and the resource of contemplative prayer for our action in the world. Each video offers 30-40 minutes of teaching, along with practices to engage in-between sessions. The resources I offer come with dynamic links to books, videos, websites, and other important pathways for your further journey.
After completing this course:
- you will have a strong foundation for your own understanding of and practice in the Christian contemplative prayer tradition
- you will have practices that bring you greater life and vitality, while opening up deeper pathways of intimacy with God.
- you will enjoy greater centeredness and resilience which will empower you to be a more present, healthy, and impactful person in whatever you do.
- you will be armed with a wealth of resources for a continued journey
- you will feel empowered to intentionality choose pathways of wholeness